Mexican beetle transmission question.

Please use this topic for technical questions only
Bitte benutze dieses Forum nur für technische Fragen

Mexican beetle transmission question.

Beitragvon wellcraft » Mi 24. Sep 2014, 17:21

I bought this car last Monday knowing it has some transmission problems. The issue was or is that every time you try to shift into any gear the transmission grinds. I thought the previous owner told me the gears were poping out but i haven't seen that yet. What I did see when doing the test drive was what I just mentioned plus u can't get it i back into neutral. No problem with reverse.

The previous owner told me that he was told most probably the problem was synchronizer but in my opinion it most be something else as I don't think all of them will go bad at t he same time.

So now I'm here playing with the shifter. I was able to get it into gear after some grinding but now it doesn't want to go to neutral. Now I go through all gears without grinding and I can feel the power when pulling the clutch. I'm doing all this in my garage with the hand brake engage, i have to do it this way as my left foot is broken so i can't do a terst drive, im using my right foot to test it. When it's in first and pull the clutch i feel a nice torque same with second but when i go to 3rd i feel less as expected and 4th it feel even less as also expected, but then again I can't get it back into neutral or reverse.
While doing all this I tried to push all pull a bit the shifter coupler as it has a bit of play to see if that works but it doesn't do anything.

I ordered a new heavy duty coupler and will be doing a gear oil change in the next few days.

Will try to keep checking as much as I can today but working in the car with crunches and a foot that is hurting is not easy.

Anyone knows what could be the problem here?

I was going to order a new transaxle from ranchotransaxles.com but a member from another forum mentioned I have a brazilian one and that it's a different transaxle, so I'm trying to see what my options at this point are.

Mine is 1999 mexican beetle with transmission issues that we are trying to fix. I was going to order a new one but I was told that the mexican beetle came with a brazilian transmission. Is this true, was told they are different and by buying a new one in the US won't work.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.
wellcraft

Zurück zu TECHNICS - TECHNIK