Cold Starting - Oil?

Please use this topic for technical questions only
Bitte benutze dieses Forum nur für technische Fragen

Cold Starting - Oil?

Beitragvon gnd77 » Do 20. Okt 2011, 21:48

Hi folks, well the first cold snap of the UK winter is upon us and straight away our Mexican Beetle, which has performed faultlessly since last winter, is once more plagued by cold starting problems. When it it is cold cranking the engine results in it spinning over very quickly with seemingly no compression - suspect hydraulic lifters holding valves open. Eventually the engine starts, a cylinder at a time, and then runs normally. The valve clearance have been set and rechecked (1.5 turns compression) to no avail. Does anyone else suffer this malady? Wondering if anyone has tried an oil with a lower cold viscosity to help, e.g. 5W40, and does it work? Any suggestions welcome!

Many thanks,

Gareth
gnd77

Re: Cold Starting - Oil?

Beitragvon sie1970 » So 23. Okt 2011, 16:21

Hi Mate,

Its very unlikely the oil is stopping your car from starting, gone are the days when a car ran on different oil in the summer and winter.
I bet most Mexicans on here run on 15/40, which mine do and I've never had a starting problem.
I'd first check the ignition system to make sure its not getting damp inside the cap and the leads aren't arcing out against something, then i guess your next thing to check is the air intake temperature sender.

Good luck
1983 Winter Bug
1996 1600i Mexi Bug
2003 Ultima Edition
Too many other classic cars to mention
sie1970

Beitragvon bruce » Fr 28. Okt 2011, 06:34

I would argue that 15W-40 is too thick even in Mexico.
I use 5W-30 most of the time because that's commonly available where I live. My Mexican Beetle is due for an oil change, and this time I'm going to use 0W-20 if I can find it. I have used 0W-20 in the past. The lifters pump up instantly every time with that oil.
bruce

Beitragvon mortensen » Fr 28. Okt 2011, 08:22

Hi,
I am afraid this is not oil problem. I have the same engine symptoms as you Gareth - since 3 month (it was summer) - so I don't think this is only oil and temperature problem. Besides my car "sleeps" in garage and there is rather constant temperature all the year round. I am also curious what is the reason!!!
Greets Tomasz
mortensen

Zurück zu TECHNICS - TECHNIK