Information on testing an ACD engine.

Please use this topic for technical questions only
Bitte benutze dieses Forum nur für technische Fragen

Information on testing an ACD engine.

Beitragvon John7721 » Di 31. Jan 2017, 03:14

Hi. I am an aircooled enthusiast from the UK. For some time I have been rebuilding VW aircooled engines of most types but I have recently obtained an ACD engine which was given to me because it sounded noisy and was thought to be damaged in some way. I have stripped the engine and the heads in the same way as I normally do and apart from the normal wear I can find nothing wrong and I intend to put it back together. I do not have any of the fuel ( injection) system harness or wiring, injectors or fuel delivery system. My question is can I test it by using a fuel delivery system for an AD engine with distributor and Carburretor or will this cause problems in that there are pressure and fuel delivery problems which I am not aware of. I will not be able to obtain the necessary fuel injection system. Are there any problems this would cause. Thank you in advance for any information which will be useful. John.
John7721

Re: Information on testing an ACD engine.

Beitragvon Red1600i » Di 31. Jan 2017, 08:31

The ACD 1600i engine can be downgraded to a normal carburetor and standard ignition. No problem, it is compatible to the old AD engine.

The only difference is the hydro Valve train. Probably the cause for the problem... bad Hydros.
Red1600i

Beitragvon John7721 » Di 31. Jan 2017, 11:15

Thank you for that information. I was given the engine on in the belief that there was something wrong due to the noise it was making. I have to established that the oil that was in the sump when I got it is probably the standard oil used for air cooled engines but from reading the extensive information on this site it would appear crucial to use different
kind of oil to allow the hydraulic followers to both fill with oil but then for it to provide sufficient resistance for them to do their job. On the one previous engine I rebuilt with these type I didn't realise it was so important. Is there a preferred manufacturer of oil that is recommended or will any -40w type be in order. Thank you. John.

PS. Great site and comprehensive info. If I had a car to go with the engine I would join your register. John
John7721

Beitragvon paullanzarotti » Di 21. Feb 2017, 11:08

Hi John,

I am also from the UK and have owned a Mexican Beetle with a FI ACD engine from new (1997). The noise you are referring to is probably clatter from the hydraulic followers not pressurising (as you have seemed to have worked out). The VW Manual for these cars says to use Mineral 15/40w however I found that to be too thick in the winter so I use Castrol Magnatec 10/40w and that works a treat.

I would also recommend using Xado engine conditioner. I am usually against using any additives in engines and gearboxes but Xado works differently and have made the world of difference to my engine - especially on start up where I used to get a giant puff of white smoke which is now gone.
paullanzarotti

Beitragvon John7721 » Mo 27. Feb 2017, 19:45

Hi and thanks for the information. Very useful when I get around to the rebuild. Looking at the usual suppliers in the UK few of them include the Mexican Beetle in their indexes of parts. I have worked out that the majority of the long block is standard but I am unsure as to the pushrods tubes which, having checked the old ones, appear to maybe be the 1200 version as opposed to the 1300-1600. I am supposing that because of the hydraulic lifters the pushrods are slightly shorter which may accommodate the 200 mm pushrod as opposed to the 210 mm version. Have you any experience as to which are more suitable?. If so that would be appreciated. Regards. John.
John7721

Beitragvon paullanzarotti » Mo 27. Feb 2017, 23:24

The pushrod tube would be determined by the stroke of the engine and therefore distance between the cylinder head and crank case so 1300-1600 would be the correct size.

I have changed my pushrod tubes so I can doubly assure you that those are correct!
paullanzarotti

Beitragvon John7721 » Mo 6. Mär 2017, 19:54

Thanks. That's reassuring. Best regards. John
John7721

Zurück zu TECHNICS - TECHNIK