1600i fuel gauge sender repair/clean up

Please use this topic for technical questions only
Bitte benutze dieses Forum nur für technische Fragen

1600i fuel gauge sender repair/clean up

Beitragvon phade » Fr 16. Dez 2011, 19:46

Hi everyone,

This could be a very useful tip to everyone who has had problems with the 1600i Beetle fuel gauge sender. In my case, my 1600i Beetle's fuel gauge was reading very erratically until it nearly stopped working altogether (not very helpful when you don't know how much fuel you have got left in the fuel tank !).

I have recently tried to get a new fuel gauge sender for my 1600i Beetle (original VW part number BAA 919 051 A), I could not find one from anywhere. :( When I tried the VW Classic Parts Center (via the availability enquiry and via the contact form), that part wasn't available either. :( The only option I had was to find out what was wrong with the fuel gauge sender (I think it's completely different to the carburetter one if I remember rightly).

Anyway, here are the pics of how I repaired the fuel gauge sender:-

Fuel gauge sender removed:-

Bild

Bild

Bild

I then very carefully bent the metal tabs securing the plastic rheostat/contact housing part of the fuel gauge sender with a jeweler's flat-bladed screwdriver and a pair of pliers to separate the plastic housing from the rest of the fuel gauge sender. Here's what the fuel gauge looks like inside before I cleaned up it's contacts and rheostat:-

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

This is what I used to clean up it's contacts and rheostat. It's also very useful to use that stuff for cleaning up other electrical contacts:-

Bild

And this is what part of the fuel gauge sender looks like after I had cleaned it up. Notice the difference:-

Bild

After I had cleaned up the fuel gauge sender, I just put it back together and bent the metal tabs back into place and the fuel gauge sender now works as if it was brand new. :)
1973 VW 1300 Beetle
1982 VW 2.0 litre type 2 T3 aircooled hightop camper

1985 Reliant Rialto 2 GLS
1989 Reliant Rialto SE Hatch
1988 Reliant Rialto SE Hatch
phade

Re: 1600i fuel gauge sender repair/clean up

Beitragvon Manfred » Fr 16. Dez 2011, 21:13

Hello Phil,
thanks a lot for this good documetation.

Just one small add.
The sensor measures against ground.
Therefore one of the five gromets is of copper.
But that will not help much, if the fuel-tank himself has no good ground conection.
So its allways a good idea to use a seperat ground conection.

Bild

The measurements of the ohm values of a brand new fuel-sender are here:
http://www.1600i.de/1600i-elektronik/tankgeber/tankgeber.html

cheers
Manfred
Manfred

Beitragvon phade » Fr 16. Dez 2011, 21:31

Hi Manfred,

I measured my 1600i's fuel tank sender and a Jopex fuel gauge sender (they are completely useless for a carburetter Beetle) for comparison:-

Jopex fuel gauge sender:-

Empty: 293 Ω
Full: 1.2 Ω

1600i Beetle (Jaeger) fuel gauge sender:-

Empty: 392 Ω
Full: 16.6 Ω

I have fitted the Jopex fuel gauge sender for now to prevent any dirt/moisture from getting inside the fuel tank whilst I was cleaning my 1600i's fuel gauge sender. The Jopex one seems to work at the moment anyway, but I will refit my 1600i's fuel gauge (probably tomorrow) as I know it will work correctly.

The main problem with my 1600i's fuel gauge sender was that the contacts were very dirty (some parts of them were almost black) and the contact ring (from the rheostat to the spade connector) wasn't making proper contact with the other half of the fuel gauge sender, eg:-

Copper ring:-

Bild

Other half of fuel gauge sender:-

Bild
1973 VW 1300 Beetle
1982 VW 2.0 litre type 2 T3 aircooled hightop camper

1985 Reliant Rialto 2 GLS
1989 Reliant Rialto SE Hatch
1988 Reliant Rialto SE Hatch
phade

Beitragvon mgroendi » So 8. Jan 2012, 17:18

Thanks I tried this with my fuel gauge, since the fuelmeter doesn't work, it is always empty. Funny thing is when it is off, it is just right of the empty red marked field and when I put the power on it goes to the most left. When I ground the wire is goes to half full, so the meter seems to work (partly)? When I took out the fuel gauge it looks like they repeared it, they soldered the plated head with screws to the part with the plastic (to clean) since the copper strip was broken appereantly. Maybe in a attempt to do the same you did :).

Now the big question is, since I don't get it to work, when I cleaned it, is there really no replacement? Can I replace the gauge and meter by the older type together, since you said it doesn't work the meter with the old gauge? Anyone any advice what to do, would like to know how much fuel is left since I drive it daily.
mgroendi

Zurück zu TECHNICS - TECHNIK