Engine cutting out?

Please use this topic for technical questions only
Bitte benutze dieses Forum nur für technische Fragen

Engine cutting out?

Beitragvon Gonzales » Di 16. Aug 2011, 19:52

Hi everyone!

I was driving home last night when my lights started going out and the engine started to cut out.
I've also noticed my lights go off if i go over a bump in the road.

I had a similar problem a while ago where the car wouldnt start at all. I could hear a relay clicking in the dash so i removed a fuse next to a relay, cleaned it and put it back and the car started. Im not sure what the relay is for but i thought it might be for the imobiliser, stopping the engine starting.

Has anyone had a similiar issue and found a repair for it? Any help would be great.

Thanks
Andy :mrgreen:
Gonzales

Re: Engine cutting out?

Beitragvon Andre´ » Di 16. Aug 2011, 20:44

Hi Andy,

If your Lights turn off while you pass a Bumper or something like this you might have a Problem with your Wiring at the Fuse Box.
Especially the Wire that connects the Fuse Box with the Body of your Bug.
Near your Speedo ( on the left) you will find a Contact-Point for the Mass-Wiring.
It is possible that your find a lot of corrosion under the Plugs of your Wires.

The Relais your are talking about is your Starter -Relais thats right.
And a defect in your ignition-lock might produce starting or cuting off Problems .

If i was in your shoes i would also check your Wiring at the Battery and the Starter.

P.s. sorry for my sick english.
Bitte nehmt mich nicht zu ernst ,ich bin ein niveau-flexibler halb-erwachsener ,was will man da erwarten !?

Es gibt keine großen Entdeckungen und Fortschritte, solange es noch ein unglückliches Kind auf Erden gibt.

Albert Einstein
Andre´

Zurück zu TECHNICS - TECHNIK