Leaking windscreen.

Please post here all non-technical themes
Bittet postet hier alle nicht-technischen Themen

Leaking windscreen.

Beitragvon Gonzales » Mi 6. Jul 2011, 22:04

Hi guys,

I have a long running problem with finding water in the passenger footwell of my mex bug.

Ive traced the water, it seems to be dripping in at the corners of the windscreen where the 2 wee drainage holes are, then running down the inside of the hood towards the washer bottle and dripping down through the cabling into the footwell. On the drivers side it drips in but i have no idea where this water exits or ends up.

The rubber seems good, still soft and not cracked. I know this area of the windscreen is a common rust problem.

Where is the water intended to go? Out the bottom of the door pillar? Seems strange to have drainage holes with no exit.

Heavy rain sucks!! :roll:

Thanks
Andy
Gonzales

Re: Leaking windscreen.

Beitragvon sie1970 » Fr 8. Jul 2011, 23:13

If the water is getting past the screen seal, then a new seal is required.
If you can see rust under the seal, or breaking out onto the bodywork infront of the seal, then this needs fixing as it will only get worse.
Did Beetles Uk fit a heated screen, if so, i'd check everything they have done, wouldn't touch them with a bardge pole.

Hope this helps.
1983 Winter Bug
1996 1600i Mexi Bug
2003 Ultima Edition
Too many other classic cars to mention
sie1970

Beitragvon ruebiracer » Mo 11. Jul 2011, 17:41

Hi Gonzales,

I know your problem, as I had it myself on the left side.
No windscreen rubber is as tight for heavy rain, so always a little water drops from the holes in the door pillar.
For that reason they are open at the end, which wasn´t the case on my bug at the left side.
So the water searched another way to the inside under the carpet.
After drilling a smale hole on the door pillar end also on the left side, car is dry now.

So, you should check, if the holes are there and are free, I guess they are not...

BR and success,
Matthias
ruebiracer

Beitragvon ruebiracer » Mo 11. Jul 2011, 17:42

sorry, " small hole" I meant... ;)
ruebiracer

Zurück zu EVERYTHING ELSE - ALLES ANDERE - SONSTIGES